Whether you are brand new to hosta gardening or have been an AHS member for over 15 years like myself, the resources offered by the society are numerous. My membership in the AHS provides me and you with the following benefits and opportunities:
• A subscription to the award-winning The Hosta Journal, a magazine-quality publication featuring exquisite, full-color photographs, featured articles and columns covering all aspects of the genus Hosta.
• Access to the electronic The Online Journal, featuring extensive write-ups and photo coverage of our annual national convention, available through the Members Only section of the website.
• Locations of and access information to 25 AHS Display Gardens found in various regions of the country, as well as other hosta display gardens, many of which are open only to AHS members.
• A listing of reputable hosta growers and vendors on the website.
• Periodic notification of what’s new and “hot” in the hosta world, including receiving an annual registration book of newly registered hostas.
• Information about activities for both members and non-members, including national and regional conventions, garden tours, hosta sales and auctions, hosta shows and education activities on a national, regional or local society level.
• Two hosta auctions during the year: a live auction of rare and interesting hostas and other garden plants and gardening accessories during the summer national convention; and an online auction conducted in January featuring similar plant material. Both auctions are open to non-members as well as members. Proceeds from both auctions help cover society costs not covered by membership dues.
• Most importantly, developing new and many times life-long friendships with people across the country that share a similar interest for hostas, affectionately referred to as the “friendship” plant.
A highlight each year is our national AHS convention, held each summer and hosted by a local hosta society; the location of which varies year to year. Convention events and activities include garden tours, an accredited Hosta Show, educational workshops and seminars, a vending room offering a wide selection of hostas, companion plants and other garden accessories, and an awards banquet to recognize deserving members of the AHS. The convention also provides a unique opportunity to meet fellow hosta gardeners, hybridizers, growers and friends.
In 2018, the American Hosta Society will be celebrating a major milestone, our 50th anniversary as a national plant society. I invite you to watch this website throughout the year as we highlight past society accomplishments. Our national convention, scheduled for June 2018 in the Philadelphia area, will showcase the many people and activities throughout our first 50 years. I extend an invitation to you to start planning how to join me at the “Phifty in Philly” 2018 AHS national convention.
If you are not a member of the AHS, I extend a personal invitation to consider membership. Click Here to go to the Membership Page for membership information and our application form.
Yours in the “friendship” plant.
President, American Hosta Society
Please Click Here to Contact Gregg Peterson with any questions or comments you may have.